courierpostonline.com  Weather  Jobs  Cars  Apartments  Real Estate  Shopping  Dating  Classifieds

Customer Service
Subscribe

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Fat-free milk, with the taste of whole milk

I've been using skim milk for years -- and always felt a little disappointed when I poured the anemic moo juice into my coffee. I steered away from so-called fat-free creamers because they get their creaminess from corn syrup -- and after all, a gal needs her dairy, not some engineered stuff.

Now, thanks to the process of ultrapasteurization, I can buy fat-free milk that tastes as rich as the real deal. Start pouring the Cheerios and fire up Mister Coffee!

In traditional pasteurization, milk is heated to a minimum of 161 degrees and then chilled. In the ultra process, the milk is superheated to 280 degrees. The additional heat does more than distill the flavor. Ultra milk has a shelf life of 60 days, compared to 15-17 days for regular milk. All milk should be consumed within 10 days of opening the carton.

Expect to pay more for the extra flavor. At ShopRite, a quart of regular fat-free milk lists for $1.19. The ultra is $1.99.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Partners: Jobs: CareerBuilder.com • Cars: Cars.com • Apartments: Apartments.com • Shopping: ShopLocal.com
Customer Service • Send feedback about CourierPostOnline.com • Subscribe Now • Jobs with us
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, updated June 7, 2005.
Copyright 2005 CourierPostOnline.com. All rights reserved
Partly Sunny 51°F
Partly Sunny
Forecast »
Sponsored by:

Search over 400,000 better jobs!
Occupation Keywords: