courierpostonline.com  Weather  Jobs  Cars  Apartments  Real Estate  Shopping  Dating  Classifieds

Customer Service
Subscribe

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Building integrity at Home Depot


I'm one of those HGTV-inspired women who always has a project.
That's why I'm a regular at Home Depot and Lowe's, among my favorite resources for home and garden supplies and nice sales associates who will have mercy on me and suggest ways I can DIY (that means Do It Yourself in home-improvement language).
This month, the buzz at Home Depot is the firing of four managers who accepted gifts from Asian manufacturers determined to obtain a coveted space on the shelves of the nation's largest home-improvement chain.
The folks at Home Depot aren't talking because the feds are investigating. But that gives us a hint as to how extensive the payola might be. Home Depot now bans its buyers from accepting gifts. Lowe's has instituted a more realistic policy, prohibiting gifts valued at more than $75 in recognition that other cultures routinely bestow presents on business associates and, hey, who can be had for $75?
Here's the bottom line: as a consumer I appreciate Home Depot keeping products off the shelves that might have landed there as a result of graft. I'm happy that Lowe's has put a mechanism in place to ward off pay-to-play vendors.
In the end, the consumer wins.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Partners: Jobs: CareerBuilder.com • Cars: Cars.com • Apartments: Apartments.com • Shopping: ShopLocal.com
Customer Service • Send feedback about CourierPostOnline.com • Subscribe Now • Jobs with us
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, updated June 7, 2005.
Copyright 2005 CourierPostOnline.com. All rights reserved
Partly Sunny 51°F
Partly Sunny
Forecast »
Sponsored by:

Search over 400,000 better jobs!
Occupation Keywords: